Thursday, September 12, 2013

Curricula Series 2013-2014: Reading (Phonics)

I recently posted our literature selections and curriculum for this year, but I neglected to tell you about the other reading or phonics programs we'll use.


Reading (Phonics)
Core Phonics
Horizons Reading (1st Grade)
I ordered our package through the Homeschool Buyers Coop. This will be a very easy curriculum. I plan on using it as a review of skills this year hoping to fill in any educational gaps. We have other reading curricula that we reviewed in the past that we will also complete. I am still searching for a more challenging reading curriculum for this year.

Online Reading
We alternate the use of her online reading (phonics) programs. She works for 20-30 minutes every day. I hope to come across a more challenging program focusing more on reading comprehension skills.

  • Explode the Code Online - We'll continue using this program. We hope to extend her subscription as she continues to work through the books online. I use my Homeschool Buyers Coop SmartPoints to obtain this program and if we don't have enough points I will possibly renew it when the time comes. You can find out more about the Homeschool Buyers Coop on my blog. Click here to read my post which contains links and information about the coop. The older deals have ended, but the links are still pertinent. If you decide to join which is FREE please use the links provided in my post. I earn SmartPoints if you join. 
  • Essential Skills Advantage (Third Grade) - We won a student access plan and reading is included in the subscription. We are still having computer issues with this particular program loading properly.
  • IXL Language Arts (Second Grade)
    Yah! We just found out that we will be reviewing IXL Language Arts this year so this item moved from my wish list to Alyssa's online learning. I am so looking forward to trying this brand new program!  
  • Samson's Classroom - I recently extended her subscription this year for only $4 using a Plum District deal and coupon. You can read my review here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment