Monday, December 30, 2013

BookSneeze Review: Peace on Earth - A Christmas Collection by Mary Engelbreit

I recently had the opportunity to review Peace on Earth: A Christmas Collection written by the amazing author and illustrator, Mary Engelbreit, as part for the BookSneeze Blogger program. The hardcover children's illustrated picture book is suitable for children between the ages of 4-8 years old. However, individuals of all ages will enjoy this collection. It is no secret around here that I have an addiction to collecting Christmas books. I am also a huge fan of the author's work! As soon as I saw it offered through the BookSneeze Blogger program, I jumped on the chance to have this keepsake on my shelves.

Book Details
Publisher: Zondervan (ZonderKidz)
Retail Price: $17.99 
Amazon's Current Price $8.99 (Subject to Change Without Notice)
Pages: 40

Book Description 
"Mary Engelbreit rings in the holiday with a Christmas collection that includes many of her favorite classic carols, the story of Jesus' birth, and beloved poems that touch the heart and celebrate the miracle of the season.
I surely wish with all my heart, 
This day of Jesus’ birth, 
That peace and love and happiness 
Soon cover all the earth."

Our Thoughts
     Mary Engelbreit did an outstanding job with this charming collection which contains stories, Christmas carols, quotes, poems, and Bible scripture references. The content captivated the attention and imagination of my family. My six-year-old daughter and I snuggled on the couch many nights before bedtime reading this book completely engaged from the beginning to the end. It was an absolute delight to read aloud! The adorable characters in the book are beautifully illustrated and the detailed images were extremely appealing to the eye. I adore the author's vintage artwork and vibrantly colorful illustrations. There's just something magical about the characters in her books. Every time I read one of her books . . . the characters literally come to life. The snow on the jacketed cover of the book had a three-dimensional textured feel. I wish the author would have sprinkled the texture on several of the pages throughout the book for younger children.
     The lyrics for several of my favorite childhood Christmas carols including "Silent Night," "The First Noel," and "Angels We Have Heard on High" were found in the book making it easy for children to follow along as they sing. "Silent Night" carries a special place in my heart and calmed by baby girl to sleep when she was an infant.
     "Friendly Beasts" was a rhyming, descriptive story written in stanzas that I enjoyed reading aloud for the first time. The strong, spiritual, and charismatic message was one that I am glad my daughter had the opportunity to hear. This story inspired us to write our own poetic pieces about stable animals using the same format.
     There are many other Christian-based stories in this book that will truly help your family celebrate the real meaning and spirit of Christmas. Mary Engelbreit truly embraces the well-loved story about Christ from the book of Luke and Matthew reminding us all of the importance of Jesus' birth. Let me share with you a few other story titles that Alyssa read from this book such as "Another Boy: The Story of the Birth at Bethlehem," "Born in a Stable," and "The Gospel of St. Luke." Cherished poems written by William Blake, Christina Rossetti, Robert Herrick, and Cecil Frances Alexander are also scattered throughout the book illuminating the meaning of Christmas.

Recommendations
I, without a doubt, highly recommend this gorgeous book to everyone! I suggest purchasing several copies in advance to give as Christmas gifts to the children in your life. This book is a wonderful addition to our collection and will most definitely be included in our annual Christmas read aloud traditions. Peace on Earth is destined to become a treasured gem for all. It will inspire both young and old to rejoice in the spirit of Christmas.    

Disclaimer:


I will post this review on BookSneeze and Amazon. Thank you for reading this review. 
I review for BookSneeze®

No comments:

Post a Comment