Monday, June 3, 2013

Texas Summer Staycations

The next blog cruise topic is about "Summer Staycationing." Now is the time to start planning your summer trips. The cost of traveling is outrageous for a family on one budget. My husband and I decided this summer we'll visit and explore the locations in or around our home town. We may even drive a few hours for additional fun and adventures in the surrounding areas. We planned several vacations that have been canceled this year due to unexpected circumstances. This is a way to make-up for those disappointments and to have fun spending time together.

In this post, you will find a long list of staycation places you can discover this summer. The list can be used as field trips to supplement year-round schooling or for summer break activities. We'll be adding several of these locations to our summer bucket list. I pray that we'll be able to do a handful of these activities. I must admit that I haven't been to all of the places listed and when I did visit the locations I didn't always have my camera with me. Not all of the following activities will be free.

Canyon Lake
Tye Preston Memorial Library Summer Reading Program
  • Monthly Movie Event
  • Books with Bailey
  • Storytime
Alyssa won a bike one year!
New Braunfels
San Marcos
Tanger Outlets Mall (Family Shopping)
Texas State University - Alyssa always asks me where I went to college.

San Antonio
Natural Bridge Caverns
Dinosaur George Library Tours
Sea World San Antonio Theme Park and Attractions
Six Flags Fiesta Texas
Brackenridge Park
The Alamo

Magik Theater
San Antonio Children's Museum
River Walk

San Antonio Zoo

San Antonio Botanical Gardens
Institute of Texas Cultures - Can't find my photos - great place to visit.
Witte Museum
Regal Cinemas Participating cinemas charge $1.00 per person
Traders Village Flea Market - Family Shopping
Magic Time Machine - Restaurant Fun!

Gruene
Old Gruene Market Days

Wimberly
Market Days
Blue Hole Swimming

Blanco
Lavender Festival

Bulverde/Spring Branch Area
Tejas Rodeo Company and Concerts
Bulverde Spring Branch Library Summer Reading Program
Guadalupe River State Park

Kerrville
Parks (Family Fishing and Picnics)
Kerrville's Fourth of the River
Movies in the Park
2013 Kerrville Folk Festival

League City, Galveston, and Surrounding Areas
Bayou Wildlife Park - Fee the animals from a tram!

Moody Gardens - Attractions
Galveston Island Duck Tours
Galveston Beach
Blast from the Past: Exploring Water
Skim to Chase the Birds
Sand Play
Austin Area
McKinney Falls State Park

Please check out Jasmine's Ponder the Path blog for an amazing list of places I may visit this summer! I wasn't about to research this area when she has a list of wonderful places already available. She also has a list of over 100 Staycation Destinations on the map.

Houston Area
My Litter posted North Houston Staycations
Mom's Toolbox

College Station/Bryan Texas
How To Homeschool My Child

Check back tomorrow (Tuesday, June 4th) for more staycation ideas from the Schoolhouse Review Crew for your summer break. Enjoy and Have Fun! I will link this post to Inspired Wednesdays. Take a break and enjoy a staycation in your area.
Photobucket
A Nest in the Rocks
I hope you enjoyed visiting A Learning Journey. Come back again real soon!

God bless, 
Tracey

1 comment:

  1. We just moved last fall, so we haven't had the chance to experience a lot of seasonal activities in our area yet. We will also be playing tourist this summer!

    ReplyDelete